Africa

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Process or Product?

In the world of adoption "journey" there is a stretch of road that we walked through that changed our lives.
We also gained alot of respect for those families who have walked before us on their adoption journey.
Here we are in front of the " Immigration Office" in Yakima WA. This was a big day for us a we filed our I-600A.This stretch of road on the journey came into clearer view as we were standing at the window at the immigration office. The man behind the window was kind and excited for us and our adoption. He asked a few questions about our new kids, in a "break the ice" Kind of fashion.
(he must of seen the nervous look on my face, wanting to do all things correctly and organized)


Then one by one he began to ask the questions, "please fill this out and hand it to me, Please hand me your passports, your birth certs. your check for the amount of $$$ (gasp)
and "hand me your Homestudy"
At that moment, the 3 ringed binder that had been living on my kitchen counter for months, was in my hand and out of it I pulled the "Homestudy"
I slipped it to him through the slot in the window and did not expect the emotion that came over me.



It appears to just be another part of the paperwork, yet when I handed it to him I flashed back to the hours of training completed, the home inspections, photo copies of everything, the Dr appointments and notary seals, the bank visits, the 4-5 social worker visits (that were pure gold moments of great wealth of information) and the 1,000 conversations we had as a family as we lived the weeks it took to get the "Homestudy" done.


WOW


There we were, for the first time with out it in our possession. Interesting how this document is created to be given away. It is what you need to proceed, yet it becomes a part of you as you learn and grow in the process.
So concluding, we as a family have wholeheartedly agreed with our amazing social worker that
a homestudy is a "process not a product"



So we are joyfully in process, looking forward to the next leg of the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great way to keep those who know about the adoption but are not able to be in the everyday ins and outs of the process. Thanks for taking the time to do this it allows me at least to better know how to pray for you. Love ya lots! I'm looking forward to the increase of the Blaske Bunch. May the Lord continue to show His favor upon you.
Love,
Susan