Africa

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hello!

What does a mommy do when your beautiful new daughter looks right into your eyes at night as she prepares to pray and says "Mom, can you go and collect some more kids from Beacon House and bring them here?"
Each night we pray and pray for families to come and "collect" the precious children from Beacon House.
It was an exciting day when we got the news that Victoria's good friend from Beacon house had arrived to her new family in America. (about a week or so ago)
We waited each day, to let thm settle in a bit
(boy do I remember those first few days...so much JOY and FUN and soooooo tired)

It was very hard for Victoria to wait because she knew her friend was "collected to her new family" (she also got to meet the mommy when the mommy came to Ghana to file her papers, then had to leave to wait out the Embassy timeline)

Today, I was at the computer working on Beacon House applications of new families looking into adoption at Beacon House. Victoria came by singing a song to the tune of farmer and the del "my mom is on the phone, my mom is on the phone, she is working on the computer and on the phone"

I paused and realized that she had been painting and was finished and was a bit bugged that I was busy....her little tune was her way of saying
"hey....stop and play with ME"

I put my arm around her and asked her if she knew what I was working on...she said "No" So i showed her the papers, she recognized the BH logo on the application and her
eyes lit up.
We talked about FAMILIES who wanted to do papers so they could go and "collect" the a special child to live in their family.
(please read the "collect" word as a vocabulary/culture Ghana thing...)

She was a bouncing girl of JOY...."MOM, MOM, LOOK at ALL the PAPERS.....THIS IS GOOD!"
So she sat on my lap as I typed away for a few more minutes.

Then the idea....
We should email the family who just arrived home in America and ask for their phone number so we could call her friend soon.

We drafted an email and sent it off.
We talked about checking the email later to see if the number was there, got up and went on with the day.
About 15 mins went by and the PHONE RANG!
On the other end was a BEAUTIFUL VOICE!

"Hello, is Victoria there?"

I handed Victoria the phone and after the hello there was a good 2 long minutes of just LAUGHTER....no words!
SOOOOOO much JOY!
The girls talked about airplane rides, new bed rooms, brother and sisters, SNOW (more laughter) food, and so much more.
So I share with you the "Hello" moment!
WOW!
My heart is so FULL!


No comments: