Africa

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Storm

While we were wrapping up our pool time with some fish and chips...we noticed that over the resort roof, the sky had become a very dark gray. It was not only gray, but it had BIG clouds...this was unusual for the sky I had seen in my time in Ghana.
We had the kids stop eating and watch the clouds.
It was unlike anything I had seen before. The clouds that were over land were moving toward the ocean..BUT there was a whole set of clouds (a bit higher) coming toward the land from the ocean. It seemed to be happening right above us, so it was amazing to watch these two systems mix and match and crash into eachother. The shapes and movements of the clouds, updrafts and colors reminded me of weather systems you see on National Geographic weather shows. VERY AWESOME!

***looking out over the ocean, a very clear line of the storm over the water...I do not know if you can see the formation of the billowy part of the clouds...but it was so detailed it made me feel very SMALL!!!*****
We walked out toward the beach/ocean, and it began to drizzle...the kids stepped under one of the cabana's and promptly told us that "we NEED to go" it sparked some interesting stories and ideas they have about rain. Some of the memories they have of rain in the village came out.....made me realize that me saying "it is okay that we are out here, I am with you" did not matter and I also felt like I was looked at like "You have no idea!" Really...I do not have an idea and it made me love these kids even more as they talked about thunder, rain and lots of water....they have seen things with Rain in Africa that I have not. I have not lived through a HUGE thunder storm in a mud hut....so as we wrapped up our storm watching, I found my heart drawn to the hearts of my kids and how very proud I am of them!


**** For as far as you could see down the coast, it was flashing lightening and swirrling with beautiful clouds.

***** this is the picture of the resort roof, when it first started....it was a great show of power and beauty!

When we walked back through the resort to go to the front to catch a taxi back to the guest house, it began to rain...kind of like when it rains in WA, but by the time we got through the building it was RAINING!!! so much so that the water was in sheets and cascading down the tile roof in huge sheets. (of course it was all brown water from all the dust that was on top of the roof)
THe streets had standing water in them....no puddle jumping here for me...the cement gutters that run all along everywhere in Ghana carry the "waste" water from buildings and is also on open type sewer for anyone passing by...if you know what I mean. These gutters filled and water was over the road....thoughts of making a splashing in the rain "memory" faded as we drove home.
As we got back to our guest house, it had stopped raining and everything was wet and felt fresh. Lightening still flashed through the sky...but the crashing storm seemed to be passing.
One of the benefits is tonight I do not need to turn on the AC to get to sleep. (usually set it for 2 hours on a timer so REST can actually happen)
The AC has a "room" temperature on the remote. Each day that I have been here it usually reads "30-32 degrees Celcius" Tonight after the rain it said "26" HIP HIP HOORAY!!!! THe kids actually fell asleep with top and bottom jammies on and the sheet!
It is late, the air is fresh and smells clean (no garbage burning next door, and no car exaugst in the air...so I am going to take advantage and get some sleep!
Tomorrow we hope to hear the news APPROVED I 600...come on in and apply for your visa...will keep you updated!

1 comment:

The Princess said...

Carrie
I haven't commented on your blog very much, but had to take a moment to tell you how proud I am of you (can I be proud of you if I am younger and way more immature than you?!) You have done "everything without complaining or arguing" (our family memory verse last week - Ha) and I am so impressed and touched by your choosing to be content in your difficult situation. I am amazed by your spriitual maturity and graciousness. I have learned so much by just reading your blog posts. I am PRAYING for that approval this week. After you read this comment, go be blessed and have a wonderful day.