Africa

Friday, February 15, 2008

Bath Time!


Bath time at Beacon House is a good thing! The kids work hard and play hard, things are dusty so you end with with sweaty, dirty, happy kiddos!
Today while I was in the office, I looked out the window and saw the baby taking her bath.
The House Mom's were there washing their clothes as the baby was playing in the bucket! So cute, so much fun I could not resist the pics!
Pretty smart to pop her into this bucket...she could play with out worry of her going under....She is the happiest little thing!


For the first few weeks I would walk by and Snatch her up off the floor and walk around with her where ever I went....then last week,(now that I am closer to the staff) the cook and girls house mom caught me in the kitchen and said "Mum, please do not pick up the baby...you pick her up and you hold her, put her down and you walk away...she cries and we have to KEEP working...but then we have a crying baby"
Ohhhhhh! Boy did I say sorry.... all I was thinking about was how much I loved holding her...when I was done and had to go somewhere else I left them MORE work to do to get her settled.
We stood in the kitchen and talked for a long time about how they have a schedule of tasks everyday (These women work hard) and they hold her and bath her, feed her and nap her, play with her etc....but i was upsetting the routine.
The last thing I wanted to do was be "the American White Mom" that comes in and does not SEE really SEE what it takes to be here...really be here, not just as a guest, but as a HELP!
So....look at this little button of a baby and tell me that it is not hard to scoop her up...huh...hard!
BUT I can tell you that as the weeks go by and the stories are shared from staff to me and me to staff, God is connecting our hearts and I think I am starting to "SEE" with my heart and look at things differently day by day! I really respect the staff here and am loving that God is opening conversations and relationships!
Now....if everyone is sitting and I know I can sit (game time, play time or movie time) I will hold the babies...


but during the hustle of cooking, washing and schooling...I have to walk by the baby QUICKLY...because she will grab onto my skirt and she will be CONNECTED with a GRIP hard to release.... I love her with my words only...knowing I can pick her up later.
Lesson Learned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! Bucket showers and bucket babies.