Africa

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hair


For a few days now I have been asking ALOT of questions about HAIR...Victoria has GREAT hair...but a mommy that is NOT so great at making it pretty! Victoria is very patient. This is a Picture of Shelter (boys house Mom) and Victoria...preparing her hair to be "Planted" (the word for when they braid or DO their hair"
I say "preparing"..because Victoria has such strong thick hair, that you have to wash in one day, let it dry for a day, the next day you can seperate it and put it in LOOSE braids or Plants (away from the scalp...so the scalp gets AIR) THEN on the 3rd day you can PLANT it with all kinds of braids, bobbles and elastics (or as they call them...rubbers Hee hee)It will last for about 1 1/2 weeks...if it is done tight and good.
I am trying to be a good student. I am very thankful for the staff and being so willing to teach me, sometimes over and over again. I do not think it is because I am slow...it is just that it is new. (well that is what I tell myself anyway

Okay....so what do you do with a busy fun extrovert son and a beautiful quiet introvert daughter to get to know them?
You play hard with BOTH of them, read books to them, tickle John A LOT! and sit with Victoria and let her "Plant" your hair!
Yes...the nice hair style you see above is done by my beautiful daughter!
I have found that she has great stories to tell if she can stand behind me and "plant" I think it helps her not feel "one the spot" like it would if we were at the table or sitting on the bed.
Tonight, she was creating this great hair style, Phillip was in front of me, asking me "have you seen this movie, how about that movie?" We got to the "Robin Hood" movie and he asked if I remembered the part with the snake....well, this started a WHOLE snake conversation.
My quiet daughter was planting away and proceeded to tell me (along with Phillip, because they lived in the same Village) how the python was in the village and bit a man, the man had to find a frog that had poison skin, lick the frog, then pull out the snakes teeth from the man's hand and kill the snake.
Phillip, Victoria and I talked and talked while she braided and braided.

At first she said things like "no, there was not a snake, and no I have not eaten it" (I asked if they ate it after they killed it) After she saw that I was intersted and not grossed out, she talked about it more. The oil was used for medicine with cooked grass that was squeezed out, the meat was cooked and someone sold the skin.
AMAZING! I am looking forward to a life time of these kinds of conversations...some may be fun, like this one, some may be sad, or angry (pray for a hard scalp for me :O) but what ever the conversation is... I will treasure it!
So, when I get home to Lynden...if you see me with the above hair style...just look and know that I have most likely had a GREAT conversation with my daughter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your hair in many new styles as you get to know more about her. I'm glad that you are able to cherish these times. If you need to have more heads to "plant" K and I will gladly volunteer. It might be a problem for your guys at home to get to talk to Victoria, as they just got new hair cuts. ;-)

K said...

V. is the loveliest girl. I am so glad that you are having these talks and that she is opening up to you more and more. Sounds like a healthy, blossoming relationship.
I am just so grateful and full of so much joy when I think of V. with a mom who loves her so much. She is so deserving.
Love,
K