Africa

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

When the Lights Go Out

POWER....Where we live in WA when the power goes out, we light a fire in the wood stove and lose our water...due to our pump house.
When it goes out in Ghana...well that is a different story.
Since I have been here the power has gone off 2 times, one was in the a.m., today it was in the dark.
24 kids waiting for dinner and the power goes out. The cook, and staff kept the rice cooking in the gas stove, the kids shuffled over to the table, the camp lanterns came out and the kids set the table, filled the water cups, fed the babies and ate. AMAZING!
Earlier in the day when John and Victoria were in my room, John was up on the top bunk and ran his hand along the mattress..he pulled out Ashlies hand crank flash light...he played and played with it, then put it right back where he found it.
When the lights went out I had my video camera in my hand so I turned it on and turned the screen around to light my way to walk to the my room.
I grabbed the flash light and went back into the house.
*God knew Ash needed to leave it and John needed to find it today*
What is hard is ALL the fans stop...the air inside is hotter than the outside...but the mosquitos are out, so the windows are closed...sweaty kids, sweaty staff and one dripping mommy.
It was off for a while...kids got all tucked in and off to my room I go.
Adaptability is the KEY and these kids do it with amazing style!
GOOD JOB BEACON HOUSE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, you're doing great! I told Laurel to think of it as one BIG Hot Flash.