Africa

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Volta

About two hours East of Accra is a region called Volta. This morning we left to travel there. Our mission was to pick up two beautiful children that have been at an orphange for the last 3 years.
*remember the blog a bit ago...where we tried to travel and our car broke down...not today* Before we left instead of just praying over the trip, we also added specifics about the car :O) All went fine.
As we left Accra, we began to get into an area that appeared a bit more green. I realized as we traveled that the houses were starting to look differently as well. Instead of being cinder block with cement, they were red mud huts with thatched roofs. The vendors along the road has some of the things I have seen in Accra, but also some new fruit looking things and beautiful ceramic jars of every size.
The land in this region produces different things...very interesting.
The reason for the green was the "Volta River"

We crossed over it...on a huge bridge...it is a bit like the Columbia in WA. They have a dam up the river and use it to produce hydro power for electricity.
Very interesting.
One of the funny things was a large herd of long horn type cattle crossing the two lane highway...we were driving about 70 mph...and had to some to a stop to let them pass.




Other things that were unbelievable were the termite mounds...more like mountains. They were all over the place. Huge sand castle like structures out of red clay dirt that were any where from 8-10 feet tall...not kidding!

As we entered the region, it looked like a bustle of small shops with hard working people. We drove a long while on a very bumpy dirt road. We had a few cars in front of us and had to hold back at times to be able to see where we were driving.
The road was paved in the middle of this 10 mile stretch...funny huh...it is like they started in the middle and are working there way on each end..
We arrived at the orphanage. When we got out at the two story house ON THE RIVER...beautiful...the rooms on the first floor were open air. There were about 6 people walking and praying and singing and playing hand instruments.
We were greeted by the director...a very amazing Canadian woman who has been in Ghana for 18 years (it would take DAYS to tell of her wonderful POWERFUL story and how she CHANGED the history and culture of demonic activity and injustice in the VOlta region)
She said she would like us to go visit the social welfare officer so the officer could meet us before we took the kids back with us to Beacon House. She also said that the 6 people and herself have been fasting and praying for 3 days and from 8 a.m. to 12:00 every day they pray together and wait unpon the Lord.
I am thinking...let me in!!! I want to pray as well...but that was not what the Lord had for me...one, I was a guest and two I wanted to see how it all worked out at the social welfare office.
Once again during this day I was placed back to words that have been spoken over me that I will "sit with officals in foreign lands and in my own land"
There I was humbly as an observer...able to watch Romana do what God has called her to do...in this government office.
I was addressed and asked about my adoption of children from Ghana and was able to speak to the questions of "will the adoptive family come and let the remaining family meet them before they take kids away for adoption"
I could say yes...because when Dave gets here we will be going up North to meet family...see where Victoria lived and meet those who love her and saved her life.
I think God used this American white woman today for this offical to see that we will come and do what is good for the kids.

When we returned to the orphange the director had prepared a meal for us. We sat down at a full place setting, with cold water, tea, bread, crackers and homemade chicken noodle soup. YUM! I could see the river from where I was sitting, watched a lizard run across the outside patio wall, feel the inside fan on my face in the 90 degree heat...and sat AMAZED!
How did I get here? I am so thankful for this opportunity. Romana's staff Bernard was with us..to help with the culture and conversation at social welfare and also to prepare the paper file for each child so they can be received leagally by Beacon House. I looked at him during lunch and asked "Have you ever had this soup?" he said no... and we laughed. I said "is it NICE?" He said yes....but I think he was strethced a bit.
We were just a small ways away from the village he himself was raised in. SO he had alot of good stories and history about the place.
We then sat by the peaceful river, exchanging stories, resting from the blazing sun and getting eachothers contact information.
His Kids Our Homes is getting QUITE alot of information to bring back home to help give people options on how they can help the orphans in Ghana! THANKS GOD for the amazing connections! You have created Romana for such a time as this, and have given her FAVOR in relationships and postion with authorities...because she works for the kids and with integrity! I am getting to benefit from all of this hard work.


It came time to go get the two children. We walked to the building where the kids live and they were there on the porch with their bags and nice clothes on, ready to go. Kids faces were peeking out from all over the place.
Loves, hugs, and good bye's were spoken...then the director handed the hand of the kids over to Romana's hand...the small boy was a bit timid and Bernard spoke to him in the language of that area and he responded by saying "yes he was ready to go to Accra"
The emotion of the moment over took me a bit....this senario played out at some point in each of my children's lives...where they had to leave what they KNEW to go to a new place. That new place for them was Beacon House. I watched these precious kids wave at the friends and staff they have lived with for 3 years, bravely get into the back of the car and off we drove.
Thoughts whirrled through my head...what was it like for Victoria and John to be in the back of this same car...driving away from all they know, to a place they do not know to a people they have not met?
The work, sweat and more work it takes for Romana to build realationships with people to be able to go out and connect with kids, the PAPER work on the government side that has to be done....the people who do not do adoptions correctly..making Romana's call to do her job more difficult...my oh my....I learned ALOT today about how Thankful I am for the work being done here.
I went into my bag and gave the kids a bag of fruit snacks I had tucked in just for them....the quickly ate them up. THey comforted eachother with a gentle touch on the hand or arm during our 2 hour drive. BUt for the most part they were silent.
When we arrived in Accra...they STARRED out the window at all the hustle and bustle of traffic and things I am sure they have never seen.
We honked at the Beacon House gate and were greeted by all the kids and staff.
We unloaded and stood around the car. One by one the kids introduced themselves, some of the girls were hopping up and down when I told them this new little girl was going to stay here.
The staff was introduced and then the House Mom's appointed a child to take the hand of the new children and show them around and not to leave them today.
This was done with great joy. As the two children walked into the house it was like a line of the pied piper...everyone following along.
What a loving way to be greeted!
So as I write the kids are preparing a place at the table for them, getting them a tub to put their things in and getting them ready for the night time routine of dinner, clearning the plates and washing them, bathing and movie time.
My heart and my emotions are FULL so much so that I will be processing this day for a long time to come.
I know it will be a day that I refer back to often as God will call my mind to the land and people of my childrens roots!
Ghana...I could be here for months and still not be able to grasp the culture my kids have experienced here in their life time.
I am praying that the eyes of my heart will be WIDE open so that deep things can go in...so when we are home in a different culture and the kids want to talk about Ghana...GOd will bring it all back to mind.
Volta...a trip that the Lord had for me to take for a day which left an imprint for hopefully a lifetime.

4 comments:

The Blaske Bunch said...

you bless me and make me SO jealous!!! ah! i guess i had my adventures earlier this year and now its your turn to do the fun stuff. can't wait to see you and squeeze you again!
sis

Tanya said...

Awesome Carrie.....simply Awesome!! I can't find words to describe what it's like reading your blog on a daily basis! You go girl....it's so hard to wrap my head around what you are doing and what it must be like to be experiencing your adventure....this is so fascinating and very intriguing to me! Thank you so much for sharing....it is my favorite part of my day to check in on your blog!!!

Stacey Bogart said...

Great stuff, you were made for a time such as this, you are lovely in his presence, may His face continue to shine upon you!
Love you my friend

Anonymous said...

Carrie, it is fascinating to hear about how Beacon House opperates. Could you tell us why the orphans go from one orphanage to Beacon House? How often are the orphans at Beacon House adopted and how many can they house? Also how is it determined who goes to which orphanage in Ghana? While you have been there, have you seen/associated with other parents picking up/meeting their kids? Thanks! (So many questions, so far away!) Miss ya!