Africa

Friday, February 1, 2008

Bucket Shower

If you have never taken a bucket shower you are missing out.
In the Amazing Beacon House Guest house there is a small kitchen, bathroom and 4 bedrooms. (only one is open for guests...the one we are in. Staff sleep in the others and there is a baby nursery.
Each day, two times a day we shower with a bucket shower. The whole bathroom is tile floor to ceiling, with a toilet and a spicket and a drain on the floor.
It is kept soooooo clean, each day Vivian comes in a sweeps and mops and takes our laundry. (amazing young woman...boy talk about an eye for detail)
Ghana is in a season (it has a big long name...) where the winds blow from the Sahara Dessert and the wind brings sand. The five days we have been here, we have not yet seen the sky....except through the sand. Everything, I mean everything is covered with sandy dust....poor Romana coughs and coughs.
So daily baths here are not an option.
The water is out of the tap, cold...but not artic...we fill a big Costco size bucket up under the spicket and use a big measuring cup to dump over any part of us we want clean. Ends up being EVERY part...but really your dirty dirty feet.
Ash Stacey and I laugh at each other in the mornings as we take turns hearing each other..."ohhhhh, this is cold"
Stacey said it is like getting into the pool...it's better to just jump in.....over her head it goes and down her body. Not me...feet, legs, are enough to start.
Ash is a YWAM pro and can shower and be ready in 10 mins if needed.
This afternoon we got back from our 'celebration outing" and I was not feeling good....ran cold water over my feet and slept for a few mins...
Sada (girls mom) came in and said "Mum, Mother wants you"
Romana needed me in the office.

*sending for people is something they do here and it is a great system.... the kids hear what others want and off they go, the staff hears a request and off they go...it could be that no one is plugged into game boy and are afraid of losing the level they are on :)

So I went to the office and talked some His Kids business.
About 15 mins into the conversation I stood up and said " I need to go to my room...I am sick" (Knowing I was about to lose it)...
To late, I darted into Romana's bath room connected to her office and proceeded to throw up....she also had her friend in the office...
It was BEAUTIFUL moment!

So back to the house I went...so sweaty and not feeling good, back to the bucket shower. Ahhhhhh I am so thankful for cold water you can pour over your head!
This afternoon, because of me being "down" it left Stacey in the kitchen...stretch...she is beyond amazing...
We laughed as she poked her head in to check on me and ask "what is it that I am doing for dinner?" (that has been my department)
So, all in all today my thankful list is:
Stacey: for "gettin-it done!"
Ash for uploading great video and pics onto the blog for all of you (I am not good at that)
Romana and her friend for only knowing me for 5 days and letting me be SICK in front of them.
For the judge who said "granted"
for the Husband who did Firday classes with the kids, and wonderfully getting it done on the home front!!! GO BABE
for the love and support of family....keep praying!
I may be using the bucket shower again soon!
(spell check is hard to do with time and internet....so sorry to all who find my errors...just smile and know it is a Carrie thing!)

2 comments:

Carissa said...

so glad to hear that your kids are officially part of the "B" family! Praise God!!! your stories are great! i am so excited to see you all when you are here!
hope everyone stays in good health.
blessings to you all, Carissa

Linda said...

'Granted' a great word to hear! We are praising God with you! We love all the photos and video clips. I cant wait for you to be home, here, all together. Lots of prayers, Linda :)